Saturday, August 7, 2010

Book review: echoes of silence.

Book review: echoes of silence.


novel ni adalah bacaan wajib untuk subjek literature aku sem lepas..nak tak nak aku harus baca..aku igtkan buku ni membosankan..tp sebenarnya sgt menarik..ni review aku pasal buku ni..

Echoes of Silence

‘In March 1970, as a direct result of the May 1969 racial riots, I left Malaysia.’

Great writing! Excellent storytelling!

After reading her book and was the first full-length novel in English by a Malaysian woman, Echoes of Silence, I became permanently hooked on author, Chuah Guat Eng.

The author took the time to add details for the readers benefit. The primary characters are listed up front, as well, there's a list of secondary characters. The few words that define each character set me up to more deeply understand who these many people are when the story jumps into their lives.

Echoes of Silence really grabbed me and I read until it was finished, couldn't put it down. I loved it. Author’s narrations were well written and captured my full attention. It was suspenseful and mysterious. This novel contains history of our country, mystery that each character hides, romance, and intrigue in a neat package that is not just entertaining but challenges your mind and imagination.

The ending totally differs from my prediction earlier. What happens to the main characters is something that challenging for me to relate. I cried at certain part of the story as it is really took me into it.

The descriptions of the setting, time period and the season came alive to me. The main character in this story was so real until I felt it was me who play the role.

After finishing reading her book, I find myself perusing the story, amazed at how each of the characters' lives is strangely entwined with the others, and how they evolve and blend into the flow of the main plot. And I read this story twice.

Echoes of Silence is a delight to read. This story was fantastic from beginning to end. It is really breathtaking. I’ll definitely check out this author’s next book.



No comments: